Wednesday, January 18, 2006

No name - it's not like there is a logical sequence to this post

Here I am. Two weeks to CNY. I am now reading the Neverending Story. It is written by one Michael Ende. He writes in German, which means I read the translated version. First of all - kudos to translators - if they do a terrible job that, means one less good tale for the rest of the world to discover. I'll always remember reading Totto Chan, How I became Stupid and Sophie's World. Such nice books. But hey, I'm rambling, and that's not a good sign.

Now, then, on to the book. The Neverending Story is about a boy called Bastian Balthazar Bux, who is not very brave, or adventerous, and is built like a hobbit; in other words, not meant for heroics. The Puffin edition I read suggests that the book is for 10 years and up. If I were 10, I'll have found the creatures that reside in the pages of the book really scary, and I'm absolutely certain I would've not finished reading it. Well, I'm not made for heroicsm either right? The book IS meant for 10 year olds however, [isn't it that age when horror stories get a firm grip on the imagination?] if you are to go by the logic that at 10, we hit a milestone between being infantile, and growing up. Most stories feature 10 - 12 year olds that do well, things. Bastian has to learn that heros aren't what they are cut out to be, and the 3 heroes he meets up are like overenthusiastic sorts from Chaucer. Actually, maybe Sir whatshisname from Harry Potter is nearer the mark... but I can't resist making a dig at poor dead Chaucer. Haha...

But there are lots of books and even films out there where children set out to find their identitites. I don't have to name them. However, while most of them start at the age of 10, I wonder if they are still searching for themselves. I doubt their stories end where the books/films do; because the quest for identity is continuous, and changes with time. Of course, most such stories end happily [how else??] and the reader is imbued with a sense of hope for the future. As CNY looms round the corner, I see it as the second chance to get the year right. If you have had a rocky beginning this year, there's CNY. That's why I love home - celerations like this will always be a mark of hope and happiness on the calender. At the very least, it is a holiday, which means no HOMEWORK. Cheers people.

0 comments:

Powered By Blogger