Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Finches, Mockingbirds and Haiku

I read To Kill a Mockingbird yesterday and today. I haven't finished it yet...but at least I'm almost there. Funny how I liked it more than I did at Sec 4... At Sec 4 I couldn't stand Scout (always fighting) but now I don't know, maybe after two years of Persuasion and Shakespeare made reading it easier. I had fun with it...go read it too if you haven't. It's a lovely book, very innocent and rambling since it is through the eyes of a nine year old child. Children have a way of rambling when they want to say something lengthy, thus making it even lengthier. What I mean to say is they tend to put in what they found important, and what many adults tend not to notice. It's regrettable. It's the great educators of literature like Atticus who transcend the mores of their time to create the unforgettable personalities we read. Somehow, his hands off policy reminds me of the Tomoe Headmaster in Toto-chan. I liked the book too, only I had deep misgivings about anyone recalling their childhood in such great detail. However, I'm not complaining that much...Tetsuko Kuroyanagi's childhood is an eye opener...which reminds us that children are not as stupid as they sometimes seem.

0 comments:

Powered By Blogger