Saturday, December 12, 2009

The meaning of happy

I love the view from up here, it is _____________.

1) pretty as a picture

2) gay as a lark

3) pleasant as a wind breeze (or obvious equivalent)

4) I forgot what but you get the sense of what is being asked.


Ask children what "gay as a lark" means and all I get are delighted smiles. Thank you, twentieth century for producing such a happy alternative meaning to the word. 

Note: The answer is 1)

UPDATE: And did I mention? I have to teach them cheesy composition phrases like "as eager as a bridegroom". And everyone knows what it is that the bridegroom is really getting excited about.

2 comments:

Morphus said...

Why can't the view from up there be "gay as a lark"? Weren't you teaching CREATIVE writing? :p

By the way, I had never heard of 'eager as a bridegroom' but thanks to your hilarious parting shot, I will be sure to use it a lot more often now, paired with with a lusty grin. =D

ficklemiss said...

The "pretty as a picture" one was english class, NOT creative writing. -_-

And even then, I can't be expected to teach them illogical things. Scenery/Landscapes are not HAPPY. They MAY invoke emotions akin to feeling "gay as a lark" but hardly will you find pieces of land exhibiting emotions literally.

Powered By Blogger