Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy 2009

It seemed silly to end the year with a Christmas tree post so here it is, the obligatory last post of the year. As I sit here listening to the wind stirring the wood mobile going clack-clack-clack against the window I don't feel any different. The anticipation hit a long time back. One year ago I was at the PY's watching The Gods Must be Crazy with two lovely women. We had chips, we cracked lame jokes, Hash complained the PY snored and somehow we ended up watching the fireworks from my house and harassing my hamsters. Truly, I didn't think anything then but certainly the gods must have been slightly less marbly after all because it turned out to be a crazy year. I am looking forward to seeing the new year through - I'll be graduating (fingers crossed), the world will be a warmer place, I'll go traveling, maybe I'll finally pick up driving, maybe - a whole lot of maybes lined up. And then, in another three hundred and sixty-five days, the world would see the first decade of the century.

I want to touch the curve of the sky, hear the wind in the trees, smell wet rain falling and watch the world spin on its slow axis to the sound of its own rhythm in space. I want to walk the streets of Greece and Rome, watch a kabuki play, chase the star-bursts down the promenades of Paris, visit haunted castles and museums and wide heaths and icebergs. I want to keep the scent of old books and the tranquil hush of the libraries by my side, the late night tappings on my keyboard and the echo of shoes on the many staircases too. I want to keep the nights out, the chilling out sessions, the tea, the uneven, narrow side streets and the numerous books and anime and films.

A toast to the old and to welcome the new.

2009/2010. 

0 comments:

Powered By Blogger