Tuesday, September 26, 2006

In retrospection

A few days ago, I went to return VCDs which I had borrowed for schoolwork. I was in one of those on-the-go moods, feeling as if nothing could disturb my sense of finaly broken through procrastinating and getting down to work at last. With such determination to get SOMETHING right for once, I walked into the one VCD shop that I frequent in the jolly, bustling heartland.

Looking back from where I am now, i.e. in the present, it was all some absurd nightmare. I happily breezed into the shop, saw that no one was at the counter for me to return my VCD to and decided I'll browse around. It was really a half-hearted attempt to waste time, because I had somewhere else to go, and better things to do than browse around. So, in boredom, I puttered around the shelves wondering why no one was appearing at the cashier.

On my way in, I recalled having seen a couple of slackers smoking at the door. Assuming these were the staff taking a break, I civilly decided to wait, being empathetic about work dissatisfaction. Looking up from browsing, I saw that one of the fellows that worked there staring at me. Since I possess a natural dislike for being stared at, I huffily wondered why the slacker was staring at customers while obviously slacking. It wasn't any business of his to examine what I was looking at. It didn't matter if I'll gone to the shop 3 days consecutively. I had to borrow the discs on my 1st day, returned one that I'll watched on the second and was now back on the 3rd to the same. In the end, glancing at my handphone which I'll fished out of my bag to look at the time, I decided to approach the cashier who was standing outside the shop.
I held out the VCD and said "I want to return this." He took it back, and said, "Where's the other one?" Thinking that he had an amazingly short memory, I reminded him that I had returned it the day before. Looking back, it was ridiculous.
He said I had another in my bag. Amazingly, I who had frequented this shop had been accused of being a petty thief! Insulted, I threw him my bag for him to look through. He clearly believed in the existence of 'The Invisble VCD' because he made me remove my jacket as well, so that no large objects would be obstructing his view. (I dimly wondered how I could be accused of stealing anything when I'll asked him 2 days before if they had a VCD I had wanted, but they didn't have.) He couldn't find anything (duh), and gave me back my bag and went to get my real VCD which I was returning, scanned. When he was done, I icily retorted if I could leave, and left fuming silently to myself.

Looking back, it was funny. I was browsing half-heartedly (I've been there 3 times), fidgety (hey I was bored) and possibly must look guilty-stricken to smog covered eyes. There it was, a polite customer here to return borrowed goods, and an over eager sales assistant. Thinking about it now, I can't seem to find it funny. Isn't it strange that one can have dual feelings about something that has happened? I find it strange that while I can review that unfortunate episode with a good deal of bemusement, I can't help but feel angry the instant I pass the shop, while cursing it smugly- Ha! Not only has competition just opened across the road, your once valued customer is GOING there too!

0 comments:

Powered By Blogger