Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Tears of Laughter

WARNING: READERS BEWARE!

SPOILERS AHEAD. AND I MEAN MAJOR SPOILERS. DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE WATCHED HARRY POTTER & THE GOBLET OF FIRE (or are not allowed or are not planning to watch it)







I do not think I've ever laughed so hard before. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was just amazing! I don't know, maybe its just that I might be finally getting used to the movie franchise or something. Anyway, excellent job all round I think. For a movie that was based on a world-famous book, I think the mass appeal method still works best. The previous movie, which was admittedly a little on the arty side is still one of my favourites in the series of movies, but Goblet really topped it because I felt that the movie captured the essence of the book really well, right down to it's very very English roots. [I think a British director makes all the diff] The opening strains of the Harry Potter theme music was approapriately eerie. (Yes, Kappa, I preferred listening to the dialogue but ok... soundtrack wasn't too bad) Oh yes, and as a book that dwindled slowly from fun, laughter and slapstick to horror, it takes an expert who is subtle enough to blend the two very different genres together, with the fine echoes of mounting darkness always ready to leap out unexpectedly at the audience.

I never thought that I'll be freaked out by a Harry Potter movie, but the first few scenes were truly spine-chilling. It followed closely to the book of course, and now, after some helpful prompting from Hash and Aaron, was reminded of reading about the muggle murder. I found that I'd imagined the scene to be something very much like this, which is good because that made me even more impressed with it. Nagini is cool, in an evil villian's pet sort of way.

Loved the Yule Ball scene. Poor Ron. It was so funny and I was laughing really hard. The scene of Ron moaning in distress at the sight of himself dresseed in the mouldering old robes is utterly hilarious. ["I look like my great-aunt Tessie!"] Lol. Lord Voldemort looked the way I had envisioned him to look like way back was when I was in Primary 12 when I first came across Harry Potter. Whooo. The image really stuck with me all through the years.

All in all, I think I cangive the movie a 7-7.5 rating, out of 10. Go watch it if you haven't! I think everyone enjoyed it and if you haven't gone, I'll say hurry and catch it!!!

P.S. The dragons are awesome. Not big and clumsy but really flexible and dangerous. Just the way I like em.

0 comments:

Powered By Blogger