Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Teaser: Karigurashi no Arrietty



When I heard last year that Hayao Miyazaki's* next project would be an adaptation of Mary Norton's (a children's book writer) The Borrowers, I wasn't sure I'll be thrilled. I remember feeling not too pleased with their adaptation of Howl's Moving Castle, but hopefully with no last minute director swapping, the plot will not suffer this time. Besides, I am unfamiliar with Norton's work and I currently have no strong feelings attached to it being adapted.

But more importantly, after Ponyo, it looks as though Ghibli is going back to that absolutely lush animation style which I first fell in love with as a kid watching My Neighbour Totoro. The teaser trailer is also one which I'm insanely obsessed with already - those few shots of the house and the tempting way which the borrower (i.e. the little pixie like person) is blocked off from the screen by the big leaf is a major draw for me already, not to mention that it has a suitably haunting theme song to go with it. It's well teased, this teaser. But I add that I'm usually a sucker for Ghibli productions anyway, so it won't take much to make me this excited. Unless it's Ponyo again of course.

So yeah. Enjoy.
*Ah. My mistake. Karigurashi no Arrietty is directed by newcomer Hiromasa Yonebayashi. Screenplay is by Hayao Miyazaki though.

0 comments:

Powered By Blogger