Sunday, August 09, 2009

Bordering on lousy

Yesterday, I went to the Borders Sale. Just to show you how far their fiction sale standards have fallen, here is the haul I got from that place: 0.00000000000000000. Compare please, with last year's statistics, which is 13 books, the full description which may be found here. I ended up deflecting over to the Metro sale and I even wandered into Harvey Norman's - that by the way, would give you an idea how depressing I found the Borders one, which I had even rushed over to after tuition and totally skipping my lunch.

And not to make comparisons or anything (I totally am), last year's Borders sale was of the genuine kind, where they not only had the books tossed in a disorganised heap in big cardboard boxes, they did not even bother to put said boxes on a shelf - they were all on the floor.
This year, the books were all more or less neatly stacked, and I did not even see anything going for their purported $3. The majority had 30-40% discounts or started from about $5. Granted, there were a lot of hardcover non-fiction, but can anyone blame me for not showing any interest in The History of the Army and such titles? Plus, even though a hard cover edition of The Prince by Machiavelli going for $12 is still a cheap buy, it seemed pointless to join the queue for one book, especially since I got a Penguin edition of Plato's Republic for $4 the year before.

As Morphus said, the wonder is that the queue is as long as last year's (and as slow moving). Still, I suppose I should have known something was amiss when 10 to 1 shoppers leaving the expo were carrying Metro bags and few black Borders bags could be seen. Ah well. I'll just wait and see next year then though my hopes are not very high. Perhaps Borders has learnt not to overstock.

0 comments:

Powered By Blogger