Saturday, June 27, 2009

Charming Chiangmai

I really love those alliterations that tour agencies always use to describe their touted destinations of choice. Alluring America. Romantic Rome. Enticing Europe. Tastefully Turkey.









The author regrets to inform readers that she did not take the new airbus A380. She was instead sitting in a SilkAir A320 that was dusty. The author then spent most of her next two and a half hours concentrating on trying not to sneeze in the aeroplane because people tended to stare in horror.


This is Centara Duangtawan, a very lovely hotel. And for someone who has had to endure the cubicle sized hotels of Hong Kong and Genting (which was also bloody missing the shampoo dispenser), this happens to be a godsend:

Look at that! A bath tub! And a sitting area with a very neat lamp!

For me, the nicest bits of the trip had to be Doi Suthep's Wat Prathap (Prathap Temple). Even though there were many tourists and devotees milling about, the temple retained its sense of tranquility and quiet. Though, with roughly 600 years behind it, Wat Prathap is probably capable of enduring more than intrepid explorers.

Prayer bells occasionally tinkling in the breeze, Temple cats have good lives and

More of Wat Prathap's dazzling golden roofs

The shopping opportunities are vast. Unfortunately, because I went to their cottage industries on my very first day, I got fleeced quite badly for a bangle which could have been gotten at a fraction of a price at the night market less than 50 metres from my hotel. In my own defence, I've never bargained before. And, if I am going to Thailand again, I solemnly swear that I will try to cut prices even further.

Pretty baubles

And this is actually the low season for tourists

A couple of tuk-tuk waiting for tourists to hop on
Then, there are also the neurotically white temples with white flowering shrubbery and white fish in the white stone lined ponds still under construction even after twelve years, hot springs that smell of sulphur, crazily speeding tour vans, rice sticks and border towns to lure one on to the next location...

0 comments:

Powered By Blogger