Monday, June 30, 2008

In Defence of Pink

Warning: To be taken tongue in cheek, seriously.

So, what am I, a known loather of this stereotypically girly shade doing defending this colour against those who have shot it down repeatedly? Firstly, as someone who has no particular liking of this colour, I feel that I will be in the best position to talk about it without being biased towards it. Anyone who has heard me complain greviously about having suddenly acquired lots of pink items would understand. Secondly, having said that, I would like to add the caveat that this subconcious acquiring of pink-tainted goods seems to mean that I am no longer able to say that I fully dislike the colour, on the other hand, it seems to point to a subconcious attraction towards it.

As Hash once said long ago, it appears that I am a closet pink lover. This information I think, would fail to raise eyebrows since some of you already think I am batty and have odd taste, and Hash was only too delighted to have a good laugh at me. The rest of you probably knew that pink exacts a detrimentally addictive influence anyway... Once you start, you continue.adding to the collection.

Coming to the point above, I suppose I had better produce some valid reasons as to why Pink is a misrepresented colour.

The big one at the top of the list is of course, the centuries of being inversely socially conditioned to detest this colour. How many of you ladies out there shudder at being associated with the colour? SOME of you, as you very well know, only wear navy blues and blacks (like some funeral if you ask me), and others detest it with a passion. Speaking of passion, I would like to mention that those of you who obsess over particular colours analogous to pink on the colour wheel (such as red, Lavender, violet, crimson etc) are but one step from converting to being a Pink. Already, I suspect that some of you out there are already experiencing similar addictive habits (concious or otherwise) concerning the colour of their choice, much like a Pink lover already posesses (see above).

Elaborating further, it doesn't help that pink is commonly demarcated as part of the blonde realm, which is rather unfortunate since that means that the colour will also be associated with anything bimbotic or brainless. Sad really, considering that the colour has a lot of aesthetic merits and shouldn't be shunted aside just because of a dubious reputation.

It is a common misconception that people who look good in pink are blonde. In fact, the colour has been known as being exceedingly good in complimenting Asian skin tones, and unless I am very much mistaken somewhere, they're not blonde the last time I checked. Having bleached hair obviously doesn't count, and it has a tendency to make people (esp if you're chinese) look pasty anyway (so said the newspaper once).

Plus, in terms of acessories, a splash of cherry or bright pink on your dark coloured bag/clothes/shoes really adds to it. And when I do have to pick a colour, pink stands out because it looks nice in small quantities. A blue pencil case just doesn't cut it compared to a pink one, because light blue looks faded after awhile. I was making a perfectly sound judgement you know, when I picked the pink one over the yellow (which I detest), the green (which I liked, but didn't look cheery) and the blue. The point is, it is possible to like pink for valid reasons. Or so I would like to think.

So yeah. Go pink!

0 comments:

Powered By Blogger