Friday, May 27, 2005

Island Club Road

I find myself doing the weirdest things. Today we had a geography field trip to conduct Stream Studies. So where did we go? I assure you that it had nothing to do with the Singapore River or Kallang for that matter. Instead we find ourselves 2km from the HSBC treetop walk thing, leaping down a near 90 degrees slope slippery with mud to get to the stream which my geog teachers happily christened "River Venus" because it was near this road called Venus Drive. You can see part of the stream from the road and you'll think us insane for going there. But it was fun.
The water is ankle height mostly, though there is a narrow stretch that goes up to knee high [near two fallen logs] in the upper course. You can see fish in the water...quite big too. We all got quite muddy on our way there, since we had to trudge through treacherous black mud and sneaky tree roots that if not noticed would have endeavoured to ensure you had a nice fall flat on the ground which by the way, had lots of small pebbles on it.
Anyway, about the stream. It's really clear..not sparkling but really inviting, and when you step into it, the first thought that came to me was - its nicely cold! And so clean! Haha.. An urbie in a jungle and liking it=) Thank goodness my slippers were more durable than they looked; the riverbed sort of sucks your feet in [not unlike quicksand, which doesn't actually exist] and I have to pull my feet out each time I take a step. Sadness. Haha... An interesting experience I must say.
What fascinates me though is that a natural river complete with monkeys exists in sunny, sanitised Singapore. I've gone to such places before in other parts of Singapore, but I guess it takes a new perception to see the wonder of a place. Just seeing the two geog teachers being so enthusiastic and eager to point out different things and offering useful pointers already makes it all different - we are all having fun, the teachers, while not forgetting their roles, being relaxed and helpful...too are enjoying themselves and that is all it takes for the ideal classroom. I've never really enjoyed myself this much at a river before. The last time I went clam fishing..I was itching all over and being scratched by the low-growing brambles. Thankfully the view more than made up for it. Gotta go.

0 comments:

Powered By Blogger